View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The reasoning given in the comment (quote again above) applies just as much when there are 7 seconds left as when there are 5.

Are you suggesting that stopping the clock is a legitimate and approved reason for a team to commit this violation, in spite of the comment for this particular case play? Or is it only illegitimate with under 5 seconds remaining?
Rulz rules.

The NFHS rulesmakers established the time parameters. They had to pick some time frame and they picked the one that matched the time allowed for a team to make the throw-in after a basket. That is kinda logical imo. If they allowed a longer time, as you suggest, then a team is now being allowed a longer throw-in time than normally allowed by rule. That's not fair to the other team.

You're advocating changing the rules to concur with your vision of the way the world should be. Your reasoning could be flawless but we still have to follow the rule, even though the rule may be flawed.

Whenever I get the urge to impose my own personal brand of logic during a game, I usually suppress it by saying to myself "JR, what are you gonna say if your supervisor wants an explanation of why you made that call? That usually snaps me back to reality. Would you call this in a state championship game with all the attendant publicity and knowing that your every call was going to be analyzed...especially a call at the end of a close game that might decide that game?

Jmo, Snaqs, and you know how much it hurts me to have to agree with CumquatHead.