View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

To expand a little on how IL does things..... They have a power rating of 40 pts max. Each school, assignor and officials association is allowed to submit a top 15 list. The state then takes all the top 15 lists, and ranks everyone in the state based on how many they have been on in the past 3 years. If you are in the 90th percentile, you get 5 points, 80 = 4 points and so on. Then, each certified official is allowed to rate other officials. Coaches also rate officials each game. (1=best, 5=worst) these scores are added up and you are ranked again based on your percentile 90%=5, 80%=4 etc. In IL there are 3 different levels of advancement as official, certified=5, recognized=3, registered=1. You also get up to 5 points based on previous tournament experience. You get points based upon how recently you went to clinics, and a few other things that I don't remember. The state says that postseason assignments are made based on your power rating. They do take things like geography into consideration also.
Frankly I like the way IL does it. A few bad ratings from coaches won't kill your rating because your peer votes can balance it out. There are always things you can do to bring your rating up, like going to clinics to try to become better.
Where I am now, it is also a combination of coaches and officials votes for playoffs, and the commissioner gets a few picks also. The only weird thing to me is that you can't work playoffs back to back years here. Although from what I understand, this is just for going "down state"