View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

ridiculous system, IMO (similar to biggravy's question)

Going along with biggravy's question in another thread, here's something that our chapter does and I think it sucks. I want your opinion:

Every year a list of officials is sent to every Girls Varsity Head Coach. They can either "prefer", "neutral" or "scratch" you. If you get preferred, you get 10 points, neutral is 0 and scratched is -1. Same thing happens for the boys but only sent every other year.

Then when all the points are tallied up, our assignor picks the top so-many officials (I think 40) and those are the only officials that will get league Varsity games as assigned by him. If you are scratched from a team, you won't get any of their games. If team A and team B prefer some of the same officials, any two of those officials will most likely get those games. If you are neutral with a school, you might get one of their games in a season.

I feel this gives coaches way too much control over us. In a very close game, what happens if you call a foul on a player that any officials, good or bad, would have called in that situation, and yet that call just cost that team the game. You're probably gonna get scratched by that coach. Same thing with Technical fouls. You T up a coach who's been yelling at you all game, you might get scratched because he/she would disagree with you. I think it's a ridiculous system. I know I've been scratched by a local Catholic HS because of a call my partner made, that was wrong, in my area of coverage. Oh yeah, and this was during a SCRIMMAGE! I was outraged to find out he scratched me because my partner made the mistake, not me, and it was during a non-game! One more thing, this was a JV scrimmage too, that he was just there to watch, not coach.