View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
I want to hear how things are done in other states.

In Kansas, officials are selected for post season play by the number of coaches votes they receive. Coaches have a form to list officials and it is mandatory they send it to the state by a certain date or face a fine. In my area (southeast KS) we've been told for two years straight that there are not enough officials in our area doing post season. Officials from outside the area are brought in to do our substates. That tells me that coaches in other areas of the state are voting for officials. The problem is that opinions I hear from coach friends is that most coaches here feel officials suck across the board and therefore will only vote for a couple officials. It is like an us versus them mentality. The other problem is we have been hammered for two years straight by the state, our assigner, and our supervisor that we are not enforcing penalties for unsporting behavior. I have yet to see a coach happy about getting a T, and it seems every coach you T is one more coach that isn't listing you for post season.

How do other states do things?
This is one of my biggest complaints. Allowing the coaches to select the post-season officials is absolutely absurd. It compromises the integrity of the game and makes the officials more worried about collecting the coach's vote than properly enforcing the rules.

Fortunately, in my state the coaches have no part in the process. The state office allocates slots in the regional and state tournaments to the various associations in the state and those associations select the officials. My association uses a peer ranking process for the selection and the executive board and commissioner handle assigning which games those who are selected get to work.