View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
This was a strange one to me, Jr High Tournamnet, FIBA rules

Team A has ball, Team B blows a defensive assignment. Team A player wide open in the paint, Team A hits him with the pass he is ready to shoot no defensive player within 30 feet of him.

and meanwhile the Subway blimp type balloon is falling over, I can see it out of the corner of my eye and I choose to pretend I don't see it and let the boy shoot. It will have no impact on the play at all and it is a close game, 4th quarter. I figured let him shoot, blow the whistle, fix the balloon

My partner blows it dead just as the ball is about to leave the shooters hands. Damn

Shooters coach, grinds his teeth and shuts his mouth.

I say point of interuption, Team A ball under the net. My partner argues it's possesion arrow, team B ball. Team B coach comes over and my moron partner discusses it him first over me and they argee.

Who is right?
1st off, under FIBA rules there is no such provision defined for "point of interuption". Having said that how play is resumed depends on where the ball was at the time of your partner's whistle.

If...

- The shooter (Team A) had not released the ball (still had team control). Team A gets the ball back for the throw in closest point OOB with whatever time was left on the shot clock.

- The shooter had released the ball and scores, count the basket & Team B gets the ball on the endline (before the terminolgy flame war begins... endline is the correct FIBA term {2008 FIBA rules page 7 Rule 2.2.1}) for the throw-in.

- The shooter had released the ball and the try misses or the ball is touched by anyone while in flight, you'd use the AP procedure.

Hope that helps.