View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Rodney Beck was the originator of the gorilla arm motion. I remember when he first hit the scene in 1992 at Candlestick (the year this shot was taken). He did it right from the start. He had several trademarks, but that was one of the most distinctive. One day, I asked him about it and when it started. He said, "What do you mean?" Then we showed him a video of it. "I didn't even know I did that. ... That's cool!" He said it like he said a lot of things: like a overgrown, fun-loving boy.

What a fine young man he was--as thoughtful and generous a soul as you will ever meet in pro sports. He devoted his life and his fortune to saving HIV infected infants and children--spearheading Pediatric AIDS charities and bankrolling summer camps and retreats for HIV kids and their families. He and his wife even adopted HIV-positive babies in order to give them a better life.

Much of this hero talk that goes on these days gives most of its attention to self-aggrandizing characters of curious heroism. Rod Beck was a true hero, who gave it all up for young people who were born without any hope at all. That's a hero.

I know, off topic---but the topic steered off-course to the gorilla arm, and it was unavoidable.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 02:15pm.