View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
I don't really have a problem with it. If you don't want to take a beat down like that, you have to get better, period. That's how I'd feel if I was the losing coach; we gotta get better. There's not much shame in getting run over by a high powered machine like that. It feels worse to lose a close game.

If you're a zone D team, you play zone D. If you're a M2M team, you play M2M. And if you're a pressing team, then you press! What you never ever do is ask your kids to ease up, or lower your standards for hustle and execution on the defensive side. You can do things on the offensive end- run shot clock down, make 5-6 passes before any shot, play kids out of position, etc. But no coach I ever been around would ask for or tollerate less than best effort on defense.

Regardless of score, the same 5 who started the game always start the 2nd half. Thats standard practice, though certainly not written in stone. Those 5 have earned their starting positions. If they don't start the 2nd half, the effect is that coach is punishing them for being too good. I want to keep my starters motivated, and I reward them for being the best players by starting them. In this Texas example, the starters apparently had to finish the game because the entire benches on both squads were ejected for leaving the bench after a hard foul, 1 minute into the 2nd half.

I haven't heard Lee HS complain in the media about it. Apparently they get it. If you want to be competetive, you have to play well. If you don't play well, you better get better.
I don't care if Lee HS complains about it. I could not disagree with you more. This is a NFHS basketball game. If this team (and coach) are so good, certainly they can come up with a way to play good aggressive man-to-man HALFCOURT defense. Some teams just AREN'T as talented. It has NOTHING to do with working harder, getting better or anything else. We discuss "Sportsmanship" BEFORE every game. If you think 100-12 at half and 170-35 while pressing the entire game meets the definition of "good sportsmanship" expected by the NFHS Rules Committee, I think you are sadly mistaken.

Starting the second half with your STARTERS with a 100-12 halftime lead -- NICE TOUCH!!! "Standard Practice" -- BULL!!! "Standard Practice" does NOT involve an 88 point half time lead. Classless, you can't convince me otherwise, you can't make excuses otherwise. This coach is nothing but BUSH LEAGUE PERIOD.

Generally, coaches have some level of intelligence. They have the ability to evaluate a situation and take good logical steps to gain the most out of a situation. This coach's actions make it appear as though coaches have NO ABILITY to adjust to situations that occur in a game. We ALWAYS start our best players. We ALWAYS press. We ALWAYS FAST BREAK. We ALWAYS start our starters to start the second half.

I am embarassed to be associated with the coaching profession. This was a disgrace.

I will say, I will be rooting for lots of other teams from the Lone Star State come tournament time.

Just my own personal opinion.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Jan 10, 2010 at 09:05pm.