Thread: What to Do?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute View Post
Over my short career I have only encountered these incorrect calls by experienced officials. It seems they have failed to stay current on the rules and case plays. During the game I tell them at the time they make the ruling the correct rule and let them decide to stay with their call or change. After the game I email them the correct ruling in a very supportive and cordial manner. Most reply with a thank you, because they want to get the call correct. Others do not respond at all. Either way, they now know the rule and I bet they will call it correct next time. Furthermore, although they kicked that rule, I find that their game management and coach management skills are awesome. Their ability on the floor is solid; they just didnt stay current on rules.
In SOME cases, I agree with you. For those folks, it is an education issue. In Ohio, a Class 1 official NEVER NEEDS TO TAKE A TEST!!! The same applies to Class 2s and Class 3s unless they want to upgrade. At the same time, we ALL need to keep up with Rules Changes, Cases and Interps. If you aren't willing to put forth the effort to accomplish this task, it is time to hang them up.

In OTHER cases, the officials have decided how they are going to call the game and they have NO INTEREST in keeping up from an education perspective. I don't care how good their game management/coach management skills may be in the cases of these officials (NOTE: BIG difference between this group and the prior group), they need to step aside.

In some areas of the country, there may be a shortage of basketball officials (as is our case with soccer officials). But, in Central Ohio, we have more officials than we have games. For those officials not interesteed in putting forth the effort to stay up with the rules, PLEASE step aside and give way to the newer officials who ARE willing to put forth the effort.