Thread: What to Do?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
How are you going to do that if he doesn't want to consult with his partners? And in my experience, very few of these guys will want to(unfortunately).

As a coach, if this call was made in your favor at a critical time, would you still immediately petition one of this guy's partners to go in and see if the call could be changed before the ball was put back in play? Just wondering from a coach's perspective.....
JR,
I can only REQUEST that he consult his partner. You are correct, if he doesn't want to, there is NOTHING that I can do as a coach -- at that moment.

The philosophical question you ask is an intriguing one. As a coach, my job is to coach my team. As part of that job, I will ask officials for clarifications on several items, request that an official keep an eye on certain aspects of the way our opponent is playing, etc.

In an actual game situation that you describe, I would/will certainly point out the error to the official should the call be made against my team. I would/will likely not point out the error to the official during the game should the call be made in my team's favor -- I will leave that up to my opposing counterpart to know that rule. At the same time, I will point out the error to the official after the game. I will also CONFIRM the error if a partner would identify the error and look to me for confirmation.

During games, I really try hard not to say much to the officials during the course of a game -- choosing to focus on coaching my players. I will frequently confirm officials' calls during a game when one of my player's does not feel they have done anything wrong or is unsure as to what they may have done by saying, "that was a foul/violation, you did (fill in the blank)."

I know that in most cases, the opposing coach is not going to be doing anything that will aid my team, but will typically be arguing in his/her team's favor. Therefore, I would be putting my team at a disadvantage by pointing items out on both sides of the ball. My agreement with the vast majority of the officials' calls is already doing far more than the typical opposing coach does.

Upon some additional reflection, I can tell you that in a soccer game, I did point out a major gaffe made by the referee in a close game in which our player had illegally scored on a Penalty Kick -- he put the ball in the net after it had deflected off of the cross bar and touched no other player. Nevadaref and several other soccer referees would know that this double-touch is illegal. I did point out this error to the center referee thus wiping out our goal.

A very interesting and fair question to ask.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Jan 10, 2010 at 09:24am.