View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 11:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Play Alex ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2 View Post
Player from team A is taking the ball out of bounds underneath team B's basket. He attempts to throw the ball long, but it hits the underneath portion of the backboard. The ball bounces directly to the floor. Once he establishes positioning on the court, can player A be the first person to touch the ball?
No. 9-2-5: The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it
touches or is touched by another player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2 View Post
Player from team A attempts to throw a skip pass to a teammate from one corner to the other. The pass strikes the side of the rim and caroms back to the passer. Can he retrieve the pass without committing a violation?
Good question. Unfortunately, I believe that this is one of those situations where the NFHS wants us to become mind readers.

1) Official deems this a try: He can legally retrieve the pass, and may legally start a dribble.
2) Official deems this to be a pass, not a fumble, and the player did not start a dribble, or lift a pivot foot, before he passed: Player can legally either legally pick up the end of his "dribble", or he can legally continue his dribble by batting the ball to the floor.
3) Official deems this to be a pass, not a fumble, and the player has already started, and stopped, his dribble before he passes: He cannot legally retrieve the pass.

Freddy posted while I was typing my answer, so I will help him out by posting his citation. After Freddy's post, I'm not so sure of my answer #3 above. I'm sure an esteemed member will be along shortly to help us out.

9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official
constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it
strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-2; Fundamental 19)

I also like Freddy's post of, "Thank you for prompting me to review these rules and situations!". That's why I log onto the Forum everyday, to review rules and situations, and I've been officiating almost thirty years. One can never stop reviewing rules and situations, and you can teach an old dog new tricks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 11:52am.