View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

As a 2nd yr. newbie (not board certified) I've found this thread very helpful in getting a clearer understanding of double and simultaneous fouls. I have always found these confusing on tests and despite my wearing the print off the applicable sections of the rule book and case book regarding double&simultaneous fouls I've never felt confident in my ability to recognize which one occurred, determine if player and/or team control existed, and administer the whole thing properly, with confidence and certainty in the heat of a game. I'm sure like the OP, I may have gotten it right by luck...not by firm knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the rule.
To Jurassic, Tim,& Bits, thanks for your replies...with my books on my lap and reading and re-reading your posts I think now I've got it down, here's my own recap...kind of a way for me to keep it straight on the court in the heat of a game:
(1) A1&B1 commit a PF or TF on each other at approx. the same time=
DOUBLE FOUL 4-19-8 (a) (Ex> A1&B1 shoving each other underneath the basket)
(2) A1 commits a PF or TF on B1 AND at approx. the same time A2 commits a PF or TF on B2=
SIMULTANEOUS FOUL 4-19-10 (Ex> Sitch in OP)
(3) Each player is charged with a PF
(4) No FREE THROWS and resume play at POI
10-6 Summary 1(c) and 1(d) and 4-36-1; 4-36-2(a) or 4-36-2(b)
EXCEPT if there was no team control then....
(5) Resume play by the A/P arrow 4-36-2(c)
(6) If any of the fouls are flagrant player 9s) who committed flagrant foul(s) are DQ'd.
Do I have it right?