View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

When I say manage the fans, I don't mean control them or get in there face. But showing professionalism and having a demeanor that is non-threatening. I have seen officials confront fans and talk back to them. The better ones ignore and continue to officiate. When fans get out of control they let adminstration deal with them. Also, some fans are there at the game to enjoy the game. You know who they are. They are the ones who say funny things to you, not being obnoxious, etc. But you just smile and go on. But managing fans is managing your emotions and demeanor to them.

At all possible I sit in the position where the best view but that depends on the gym and availability of seating. I try to sit about 3-4 rows behind the scorer and timer. I see how the foul reporting goes, how they interact with the officials at the scorer's table. If I can hear their voice then scorer should also. I notice a majority of officials do not keep eye contact with the scorer. The scorer's head is down most of the time while they are reporting fouls and TOs.