Thread: for Derock
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose I should have stated that differently...... I don't have enough confidence in my knowledge of the rules regarding penalty enforcement. I believe I know the rules, otherwise I would be struggling to get better than a 75% on the test, and I haven't had that problem for many years. I also don't have an interest in trying to learn the signals.

Why worry about working the whitehat???? We have several fellows who want to work that position, who get bent out of shape if someone junior to them gets an assignment they think they should get. We had one fellow last year who let it be known he was quitting just simply because of that. And we can't get enough guys to cover the schools now. So I stay out of the way. I like the other positions, cover them well, and assist the guys who want to white hat... You know the kind of guys.... they've always got to be in charge!!! Some even tend to look down on those who chose not to work that position, and I've obviously run into a few of you here on this forum......

I'll also say that some of the guys who prefer the white hat, are the ones who can't handle the umpire position, who're afraid to get knocked down or around upon occation. I was knocked down twice this past season, and only worked the inside 3 games. You get a little dirty, but that's part of the game. If you're afraid of a little physical contact, you shouldn't be out on the field... Stay in the stands!!!! You can wear your white hat up there and be in the company of all the other guys who know the rules better than we do!

[Edited by The Ref of OZ!!! on Dec 22nd, 2002 at 04:06 PM]