Thread: NBA officials
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I still don't know how you can "look bigger" when you are officiating than you actual

I was given this same advice at camp over the summer. I stated in an earlier thread that I am 6'4" and I would think by definition EVERYTHING I do would "Be Big". SO I asked one of the evaluators (NBA official) that I had NO idea what he was talking about and I can't fix it if I don't know what is broken. (Ok I was a little frustrated at that point.) So he and another evaluator watched my next game and went almost call by call and demonstrated tons of things for me. BiGDAVE nailed most of them. A couple of others for me was to stand "square". I had a tendency to stand with one foot in front of the other. Run "erect". I was assuming they meant posture, and watching tapes, I do run sort of hunched over. And the last was "Call the situation, don't try to explain it." That comes from the teaching back ground. In listening to myself, it sounded like I was explaining the foul. (tone of voice) I needed to tell them what it was.
Perception is reality. If you have the "look" you can learn the mechanics. If you have the mechanics, you have to also work on the "look". Or in my case if you have neither, you learn to love JrHi ball. (JK) THat is why I am hitting the gym to tone up and working on the treadmill to trim some fat.