View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Ya know _ I work strictly recreation ball (jrNBA affiliated) And alot of my partners are saying we're trying to teach them basketball. Well - Supposedly its a progressive calling league (as you get it older it gets tight) and I agree with that. Our oldest cross court (7 boys)I call alot of 8-9 and 10-11 games (some 12-15) and when a partner tells me to back it down some at 8-9 I cant help but to say and there gunna learn its not ok to do this when? So we sit here and say MS is for "learning" the game. Then lets teach it. Call the violation. Even in the 12-15 year old league (basically MS) I dont hesitate to give a quick explanation to the kid. Clock is stopped why not? Coaches wont have a problem with it. Now one coach questioned my judgement about as to why i explained a travel to one kid but not the other. Simple- One kid wasnt half the basketball player as the other. I may be out of line here but call the 10 sec and explain it to him. If he's got one more shot say one shot play the miss. If it was his second - B's ball. Teach them by calling, Not by not calling. If they make it to high school your reeking havoc on those referees and those coaches to have to teach it when it should have been taught at the MS level. One thing that got me was I was observing the game before my first game today and the referees were only calling reaches and over the backs... I thought to myself
"Man these guys are killing me if/when I get these two teams"

I didnt know reaching in had its own signal?

Anyway...
I'm sure i'll a different opnion next year if I get accepted to TASO and can call MS ball.