Thread: NBA officials
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I still don't know how you can "look bigger" when you are officiating than you actually are.Could someone explain it to me?
First, this is my last post on this thread. I'll try to give some examples about "looking bigger". I don't claim to be the authority on officiating, just passing on things that I was taught. I'm sensing that some of you have a problem with me evaluating his "look". If you think that's not important in this game, I guess we just share a different philosophy.

Always stand tall. Denny has a habit of looking too relaxed at times. While he was at trail on FT attempts, he was slouching a bit. I told him that you can hustle while standing still. What I mean is just to project the image that you are on top of your game and ready for anything.

Use wide mechanics when reporting. I thought Denny could appear more confident by widening his mechanics. For example, when he reported a push, his arms were more in front of him that out to the side. It looked a little timid. Not good for an official.

Punch a hole in the roof. On fouls and violations, a nice, sharp extension of the arm is a good habit to get into. Once again, along with good voice, this enhances a confident appearance.

These are just some things I observed with Denny. I know his mentality and the importance of looking good out there. He has been to several camps, so he doesn't come to me for the everyday stuff evaluators give. He wants the anal, nit-picky things that I may see. Hope this helps.

[Edited by BigDave on Dec 21st, 2002 at 01:23 PM]