View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:27am
We don't rent pigs

Speaking of timeouts....

Had an interesting game tonight. BV 4A school against a 1A. 1A jumped all over them in the first half, leading by as many as 17 or 18. 4A righted the ship and started to chip away. Game was tied late in the 3rd, then 4A went up by 10 early 4th. But, a couple of quick scores sandwiched around a couple of missed free throws and suddenly it's a 4 point game in the last minute. 1A knocks the ball loose and covers it on the floor like a football fumble. Two players (at least) signal timeout..........which they didn't have. Coach had an attack. "I didn't call timeout"

"Your players did, coach."

He turns to the kids and asked who called it. They all denied it. Go figure.

He asked what number, and I didn't know.

Question: Does everybody report who requested the timeout? This is something we always used to do, but it kind of went away. I realize now that at least part of the reason is that players are so seldom the ones that make the request.

And if you don't know, do you consider this to be a big mistake?

A footnote: On the way home, I realized that the one thing we did wrong was not have a timeout at all. Once I got the facts straight, we went directly to the free throw line.

Final question: If a team is granted an excess timeout, can they specify full or 30?

Lonesome Dove