View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtis449 View Post
A1 takes a 3 point shot and the ball hits the back of the rim and a "long rebound" results. The ball remains untouched as it bounces toward the division line. Player A2 secures the ball in the air as he jumps from his front court and lands in the back court. A back court violation was called.

I thought this play might be the same as a throw-in (no team control) where a teammate of the thrower-in leaps from the front court, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court. There is no violation on that play and I thought that there might not be a violation on this "long rebound" play for the same reason since there is no team control on a try for goal. There is nothing in the National Federation Rule or case book that I can find to help me out.
It is a violation. A1 gained player control (And thus team control) when he gained control of the ball. He had frontcourt status since he jumped from the frontcourt. (You are where you jumped from until you get where you're going) He caused the ball to go from the frontcourt and was the first to touch it when he landed in the backcourt.

The throw-in is an exception to the rule and doesn't really mean much in terms of team control in that particular situation.