Thread: Mechanics tips
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I wasn't working a game on the floor tonight but was at the game. The visiting coach asked me to keep the book for them at the table. I had some interesting observations of the officials. The home scorer had to have the official come back three times because she didn't get the number on the foul. If the official would have taken the time to stop in the reporting area, make eye contact with the scorer and then report the foul, like he should have, this would never happen. This pair returned from halftime in the locker room with one minute left on the clock and asked where the visiting team was. I asked them if they had given them the three minute warning. The official by the table said it was the tables job! I tried to hold back but I just couldn't. I said that he should check his rule book under the referees duties. I said it was his job to make sure that they were to be notified. Well then the official got flustered and said it was the Athletic Directors' job anyway. I'm surprised I wasn't replaced. But I kept quiet the rest of the game. It gives you a good perspective on what makes good reporting of fouls to the table to work there a couple of games.