View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
As was mentioned before, we all have bad games. Does Tiger Woods have bad shots in golf. Yes. How does he recover? He goes to the ball and hits it again. Just go out and call your next game as if the last one never happened. I like to keep a full schedule so that one game doesn't ruin my career. Just make your next scheduled game and don't let this one drag you down

To wax philisophical here. I believe if you have a bad game it must eventually be balanced with a good game. The worse your game was, the better the one coming will be.

About the going home. I will usually go home slower when I have a bad game. I usually write a little more in my journal. Something I have done from day one is keep a journal of every game I've called with the highlights of the game. If I have a partner with an ear, then we will talk it out. I have talked things out with officials from other games, especially the varsity contest if the bad game was a subvarsity game. A good thing to do if you are a beginning official is call your mentor. That is why you should be assigned one. If you don't have an official mentor you need to get an unofficial mentor. Someone you can talk to about situations like this. I remember one game at the start of my second season that went rather poorly for my partner. After I just talked to her for half an hour after all left the gym, she went home and called several friends. I only found out about it at camp where one of the friends came in from out of state for camp.

The important thing is to realize that you are not the only official that has called a bad game and that you will call both bad and good games in the future. You may have ruined your chances of a better game down the road but probably not. Who cares? You will be back and you will do better. The good news for you is you were 100% from the line, 100% from the field and the team you were on did not lose. Get them tomorrow night.