Thread: Mechanics tips
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

GTW -

The question you're asking is a good one. It tells me that you're genuinely interested in getting better.

The thing that really helped me to slow down at the spot, be it a foul or a violation, was to take deep breath after blowing my whistle. It sounds simple, but it really helped me.

You're the lead and you see a travel...

Blow your whistle

raise your open hand

take a deep breath

take a step away from the action (this gives you a wider picture and allows you to see any dead ball junk going on)

say "travel", and give the signal

make eye contact with your partner
and
point to the inbound spot (especially important if your partner is going to be the person handling the ensuing throw-in).

I hope that helps some. I think you've gotten some good advice from the other posters. Set up a video camera in the living room and pretend you're officiating a play. Go through the above sequence calling every foul and violation that is in the book. Do it again. Do it again. Watch yourself on tape. Do it again. Watch yourself.

Have a friend go to a game and keep the camera focused on you for a quarter. Watch the tape.

The last thing I would suggest is to develop some self-talk. "Ok, that was a travel, now I'm going to call it." Tweet...take a deep breath...

best of luck and keep coming here. There are a lot of people with great info for you here.

JKT