Thread: Unsporting Acts
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I can see that. Do you think flagrant (one way or the other) is the right call here?
It depends on the game context. As an isolated incident, I don't think this rises to the level of throwing a punch or driving an opponent into the wall. But, it's clearly a non-basketball play with serious potential to tank my game. In my mind the question will not be "should I toss him?" it will be "is there any good reason to keep him?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
BITS,

I can see your point, but IMHO jumping off of someone's back could be extremely dangerous - all kinds of potential for serious injury (think spine and kidneys). Think I'd go with the flagrant personal.....
I agree with the potential for injury. However, a flagrant personal is defined by the nature of the act, not the severity of the result, by the intent to injure not just potential to injure. In my opinion the act is not "of a violent or savage nature" nor would I characterize it as "violent contact such as: striking, kicking and kneeing."

However, debating exactly why to toss him is little more than an interesting academic exercise. The only real difference is who shoots and where the ball gets put back in play.