Thread: T ?
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 06:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is the fundamental misconception that he must be made to understand. He believes that such behavior from a coach is okay. Since he is a new official, you need to help him learn that it is not.

I would ask him if he felt that the coach's comments to him during the first half were beneficial to the game, and if he enjoyed being constantly harped on. Then I would inform him that this will not only continue, but will get worse until he decides to do something about it.

Obviously, he doesn't have to T right away. There are other techniques which an official can use to control the behavior of a coach and knowing that there are middle-of-the-road actions which can be taken before resorting to the T is a huge learning point in the development of new official. I've seen many officials simply take a ton of garbage without doing anything, until it reaches the point where a T is warranted, but if they had only known how to step in and handle it earlier, then it would likely not have reached that point and working the contest would have been a much more pleasant experience.
Our state official at our annual clinic this yr just shook her head and said she didn't know why so many of us took all the crap we did from the coaches. She told us to deal with it sooner......!