View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Huge call by those guys. I didn't the benefit of a stop watch to see how long the clock had been stopped but I assumed there would at least be a fraction of a second left. They were definitely right to take time of the clock and if they determined the pause was for 1.3 seconds, they got it correct.

I'm not a BB official so I was curious to know if the jump ball call was correct. I was rooting for Butler so I was happy with the call but wasn't sure if he held it up enough.
My buddy texted me and told me to watch the game and asked if the officials did what they should on the game. When I got home I got on ESPN360 and re-watched the end of the game. I reviewed the play five or six times and not once could I get my stop watch to read anything less than 1.25 even with a slow start and quick stop. With my information the differential of 1.3 seconds was correct. Tough way to lose a game, but well within their jurisdiction, with the use of a monitor.

In high school or any game without a monitor, there is very little we could do, unless one of the officials noticed the stoppage. Correct procedure would be (now correct me if I'm wrong) to stop the game when you noticed the stoppage and take what we would deem as something around 1 second from the clock and then go POI from there. We could use our partner's and the table to help us get the right time on the clock, but we wouldn't have the monitor to help us, so we'd finish the game with the time that we saw the clock at when the timeout was called (the clock wouldn't stop in high school as it comes through the net as it does in college) if we didn't have any knowledge that the clock stopped at 14.7 like it did in this game.

Last edited by Clark Kent; Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 12:20pm.