View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Done Deal!

Pete, excellent question!

I had planned on working in 2010. The reason was I would than have worked as a certified NFHS umpire in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.

I truely enjoy the administrative side of umpiring. I teach in my local group and statewide in the three umpire certification clinics. I enjoyed writing the Oregon Athletic Officials Association Manual for The Two Umpire Crew. That manual is now the statewide official training manual for all high school baseball umpires.

I loved a three year stint as the Vice President of Rules in my local group.

I love being the Secretary of the OAOA State Baseball Umpire Committee.

I love representing all officials in America on the Editorial Board of the NFHS magazine High School Today.

But sadly I got to a point where I HATED to umpire games.

Many of Pete's reasons were always in my way to enjoy the game part of umpiring.

I worked 4,001 games (the last one with my best friend) and won three prestigious awards for the 2009 season.

As I hit the big 60 I recognized that I no longer had the desire to work as hard as I deemed necessary to keep myself content with the quality of my work.

I followed great advice I was once given: "Tim, it is always better to retire two years too soon than one year too late."

TC