View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 21, 2000, 07:36pm
In Memoriam

Smile Have fun! This ain't brain surgery.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

My question is, what do you do to recover from a slam-in-the-confidence? Let me re-phrase the question. I'm not asking, "What should I do?" I'm asking you more experienced refs what you do when you go home at night and know, "Today I did a crummy job"?

rainmaker,
You have already taken the first step.
You are beating yourself up.

The second step is to do like Glenn and Rut said, identify the problems and make 'em go away.
As a newer official trying to figger out how to work this game, I think it is important to call your game, as you understand it, and to not fall into the trap of attempting to call "your partner's game", or as you think you understand your partners game. When we begin officiating, our partners often vary from game to game, and we try to copy their "success". However, each of them has a different game, and by copying all those officials, we wind up calling a mish-mash game where we are standing. We lose any chance for consistency. So, concentrate on calling your own game.

Next, be assured that your next game will be much better. You can take that to the bank.

I muddled through 4-5 years of trying to learn, by copying my partners, and then I heard about Officials' camps. (A new concept for me.)
I tried it! I liked it!(I was feeling pretty good about myself, with fewer, and fewer self-doubts, so I thought I would try a camp.)

I was politely humbled when I left the camp, yet my confidence had soared to heights I thought I could never attain. My game improved tenfold. There is no substitute for learning this game, in my mind.

If I were you, I would contact Mark Padgett, there in Portland, in a blink. I'll bet that he'll be posting down this thread.

Hang in and hold on. And don't forget to have fun!
mick

[Edited by mick on Oct 21st, 2000 at 07:42 PM]