Thread: Chain Crews
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I support using a clip for all levels! Why wouldn't you want to use a clip? It can be a hassle, but at least where I work, the coaches and players have invested a lot of time preparing for the game. I plan to do the best job I can and a clip is a requirement for the job.

If I had a chain crew who didn't want to use a clip, it tells me two things: 1) Your fellow officials have let them get away with this before and now you're the bad guy trying to do the right thing; thank your buddies at the next association meeting, 2) This chain crew will not listen when you instruct them to hold their spot when there's a flag and will probably "leave early" on change of possessions; bad news either way and only your crew will suffer when the chain crew screws up.

Solutions: A non-confrontational way to handle it is to tell the coach you need a 4th person to complete the crew (for the clip). If necessary, demand they use it and get the coach or AD involved. You did the right thing by getting your Ref involved if you couldn't solve it, but try everything you can to handle it yourself.

Oh, and if it's not taken care of by the 1st series of downs, your last resort is to stop the game until it's resolved.