View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Let me think here: score, fouls, and time-outs have been verified with both books and the clock operator at the end of the 1st quarter, end of half, prior to beginning of 2nd half, end of 3rd quarter, at least once (likely more) towards end of 4th quarter, immediately following end of regulation, a full minute has elapsed since regulation and both teams are aligned for the jump, and I am doing something unethical when, just as the Team A scorer lady jumps in on the Team B girl and starts getting very animated, I toss the ball so that we can't back away from the extra period?

You have a relatively short amount of time upon recognizing there is something amiss at the table to run it through your mind as to what it could involve: a clash between a competent, rather bossy scorer who has become exasperated with a borderline incompetent one?; roster issues?; time-outs wrong? fouls wrong? score wrong? (since those have been verified 6 or more times the likelihood of that is slim); someone thinks we're heading the wrong way?; questions about the arrow? or any of a host of other issues. When they've had 45 min of designated time plus time-outs and other opportunities to get it right I'm the one being unethical when I assure that the next 3 minutes (it was some time ago) will be played?

I'll be glad to think it through some more because the last thing in the world I want to do is be unethical in any way, but I'm failing to see it right now. Always willing to learn, though.
If any of those other things (besides score) were a problem, then taking care of them before the tap wouldn't have changed a thing, and wouldn't have required you to blow the tap dead.

You obviously assumed that it was possibly a score issue, since you told your U to blow it dead once you tossed it.

I happen to agree with the others that purposefully starting the period was the wrong move. I don't think your motivation was necessarily wrong, but I don't believe it was the right thing to do.