Thread: Elbow Pad
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not true. Those sleeves are completely legal and to be assumed to be worn for medical purposes. There is nothing in the rule that says a doctor must subscribe them to be worn or better yet, nothing that says a note must be produced. Unless your jurisdiction wants this, you do not even have to verify this information.
You're partially right. While it should be assumed that it is for medical purposes, that's the only reason for it to be legal. BUT, if it is used for adornment, then it is illegal. Those arm sleeves are popular on the market ever since Allen Iverson has started wearing one when he was first with the Sixers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only things that cannot be worn in the elbow are wristbands (outside of this discussion) that I have ever seen made clear in the past two years. Wearing and elbow pad (designed by for the elbow) is perfectly legal. There are also some descriptions of this in the Simplified and Illustrated book. You either did not read the rule correctly or you are assuming what is illegal.

Peace
Ok, I'm not so sure about elbow pads anymore. I don't think "pads" fit under "guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves" under rule 3.5.2. However, it doesn't say anything about whether pads are legal or not. So, I I couldn't tell you whether they are legal or not. For now, I will take your word until I talk with the chapter rules interpreter at our next meeting.

But like it was said earlier, elbow pads are very rare, I don't think I've seen an elbow pad in the 6 years I've been officiating. I have seen knee pads, but only in youth leagues on floors that are old, wooden and hard, and will cause floor burns on your body when sliding.