View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:09pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
Last night was one of the times that made me appreciate this board, because I would otherwise have booted a couple of calls...

Boys, 8A game. A1 drives the lane and puts up a shot. Crashes into B1, who had good position, after the release of the shot. The shot goes in and I wave it off with the PC. Coach A, who is also an official, gives me an earful that the basket should have counted. Me, "Coach, 4.19 in the Case book says a player charged with a PC foul cannot score."
I think you are getting into an area I would try to avoid here. Quoting references, unless can quote them, all can get you into trouble. What do you say to a coach who questions another ruling and you don't know the reference? What if he asks you what the reference is? I believe you can lose credibility if you are asked another time and you don't know the answer as quickly as you spout off the first one. Smart coaches will ask for the reference, I've seen it happen. Why not just say "you can never score with a PC foul"? Same message and not likely to get the coach after you about another reference point.

Quote:
Towards end of the game, B is blowing A out of the water by 30 or so, and B has the ball. A1 runs up and gives B1 a 2-handed shove in the back. Clear intentional foul. I call it and go to bench to report. Coach A comes a couple of steps out on the floor and asks if I called the intentional foul because I heard him yelling "Foul! Foul!" or because of the push. I say it was obviously because of the push, "Because I never listen to you anyway coach!" (For what it's worth, I really didn't hear the coach yelling. The gym was pretty loud at that time.)

It was said in the right spirit, and the coach laughed and said it was a good call.

This worked out ok for you, but why let the coach come "a couple of steps on the floor" (emphasis mine) to question a call? Is that getting into T territory? Did you ask him to get back into the box or warn him at all? IMO, bench decorum and dealing with coaches well will separate you from the majority of other officials because most do not pay attention to the coaches and let the coaches do inappropriate things without penalty. Do a good job with the benches and it will reflect well on you. I think you are well on your way to doing this.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019