View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
In Illinois high school basketball, all the non-varsity games I've been involved with have had 7 minute quarters. A few questions:

1. Where does this rule come from? I see in the NFHS rules that times for quarters could be limited by consent of both coaches, but the 7 minutes for non-varsity seems very consistent.

2. How long should halftime be? The NFHS rule is 10 minutes; there is not provision (that I see) where non-varsity would be different.

3. How long should an overtime be?

Thanks!

Joe
1. There is no set standard as lower level games and many procedures are dictated by the conferences or the teams playing. I worked a JV/Varsity double header last night and we played 8 minute quarters for both games. Many to 7 minutes, but that is if there is not a conference rule that dictates the time.

2. Whatever time the teams decide. Many lower level games involve double headers and if the coaches want to have 5 minute halftime, that is fine with me.

3. Overtime is always half of the time you play in quarters. So if you play 7 minute quarters, half is 3:30. That is why a varsity game has 4 minute quarters.

Peace