View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

Can you explain your procedure in detail. As many know, I have been against this for years and there has been a recent move (In my area at least) to stop doing this. If used like it was in the past, it possibly makes the situation worse.
It was taught when I first started out. So I got to practice using it in lower level games.

Coach chirping and generally reffing the game for us. For example "thats a travel" yada, yada, yada. Go over and have a conversation with coach. Then if the behavior continued we were taught to give them the "Stop Sign" the next time they started reffing/chirping. Then we were to follow up with the T.

It helped give me some structure in dealing with coaches when I was starting out. Did it make things worse ? Probably but I still had a system in place for dealing with the persistent stuff. I needed all the help I can get.

Do I use it now ? Nope. I now go and have a chat about the chirping and they either stop it or I whistle them for it.

I have come to appreciate Julie's take on things in her post up above. A T is just another foul.

As a sidebar I did have a coach lose her head last night. Didn't like my player control call. As I'm reporting it she comes about 5 feet on the court,stomping her feet, and yelling. That was a no conversation T.
She caught up to me afterwards in the parking lot and informed me my officating days were over cause "she knows people."