View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I've not seen that book (unless it's known under another name), but from the name I suspect it's not going to be a good replacement for the rules book. So, here is a brief recap of the types of technical fouls that exist in high school basketball.
  • Team technical - Includes: administrative, delay of game, more than five players playing, excessive time out. Penalty - Counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Substitute technical - Entering the game without reporting to the scorer or without being beckoned. Penalty - Counts toward the player's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Player technical - Includes: unsporting behavior, dunking/grabbing rim before game or during halftime, intentional or flagrant foul during dead ball, delay returning after a throw-in, lots of stuff you'll never see. Penalty - Counts toward the player's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Bench technical - Includes: unsporting behavior committed by the folks on the bench, which includes all players during before the game and halftime, entering the court without permission. Penalty - Direct technical foul to the offender, and an indirect technical foul to the head coach; counts towards the offender's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Coach technical - Includes: unsporting behavior, not sitting or leaving the coaching box, not replacing a disqualified or injured player within 20 seconds, allowing a player to participate with an illegal jersey. Penalty - Direct technical foul to the head coach; counts toward the team foul count; two shots plus the ball.

Notice that only coach technicals and bench technicals carry an indirect to the coach as part of the penalty.
So in other words, a team technical is assessed to the team as a whole & not to anyone in particular. I HAD the understanding that a team technical would count against the coach. Thanks for the clarification.

The book "Officiating Basketball" was done in 2005 by the NFHS Officials Education Program, & was developed by the American Sport Education Program.

So far, from what I've read, it's discussed what's expected from an official, their duties, & some floor mechanics.

I decided to check it out of the library, so that I could have a better understanding of what it takes to be an official.

I wish I had a copy of the NFHS Rule Book & Case Book, unfortunately I have no idea where I could get them for review.