View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bard

Same game, team A shoots 2 airballs from short distance. My P, a 5 year vet, calls A for 3-seconds because the "ball never hit the rim." I say nothing, and their is no complaint from anyone. I question him at half about when team control ends. He pulls out his book and says, "You're right. I shouldn't have called that."
I'm glad he was able to learn from it. If your partner makes a call like this and you DON'T ask him about it afterward, you are adding to the problem. Thanks bard for helping him, and in turn all of us, out.

Now not to come down on the anti-Rut side of things (because I agree that presence is as important, if not more important, than rules knowledge), but in this case, your partner lost more points in my eyes than he would for not having shiny shoes or a confident attitude! I'll admit I often judge officials I haven't seen before by their appearance and how they carry themselves (be honest, who doesn't?), but after making this call, I'd immediately write this guy off in my head as a guy who doesn't know the rules, and therefore, a not very good official.