View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Last night was one of the times that made me appreciate this board, because I would otherwise have booted a couple of calls...

Boys, 8A game. A1 drives the lane and puts up a shot. Crashes into B1, who had good position, after the release of the shot. The shot goes in and I wave it off with the PC. Coach A, who is also an official, gives me an earful that the basket should have counted. Me, "Coach, 4.19 in the Case book says a player charged with a PC foul cannot score."

Same game, team A shoots 2 airballs from short distance. My P, a 5 year vet, calls A for 3-seconds because the "ball never hit the rim." I say nothing, and their is no complaint from anyone. I question him at half about when team control ends. He pulls out his book and says, "You're right. I shouldn't have called that."

Towards end of the game, B is blowing A out of the water by 30 or so, and B has the ball. A1 runs up and gives B1 a 2-handed shove in the back. Clear intentional foul. I call it and go to bench to report. Coach A comes a couple of steps out on the floor and asks if I called the intentional foul because I heard him yelling "Foul! Foul!" or because of the push. I say it was obviously because of the push, "Because I never listen to you anyway coach!" (For what it's worth, I really didn't hear the coach yelling. The gym was pretty loud at that time.)

It was said in the right spirit, and the coach laughed and said it was a good call.