View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Oversight in editing? Or intentional?

If a batter steps into the box with a U-Trip-only bat (never had ASA stamp), is it just an out, or an out and an ejection?

Simple question, I know, and my gut instinct is out + ejection. However, 7-6-C calls them out for stepping into the box with an illegal bat, and 7-6-B calls them out and ejects them for stepping into the box with an altered or non-approved bat.

ASA defines a non-approved bat as:
Quote:
A bat that does not meet ASA specifications and is on the current non-approved bat list.
The bold is my highlight, not ASA's.

So in 2008, this was a no-brainer. Every bat that wasn't ASA-approved was on the non-approved list anyway, regardless of whether or not it was ever submitted to ASA for testing. The use of those bats was out + ejection, because they didn't meet ASA specs AND they appeared on the list.

This year, ASA simplified the process by requiring the stamp on all bats made in 2000 and after, and requiring that they not be on the non-approved list. But all those U-Trip/NSA bats were taken OFF of the list.

So my question becomes... By rule, are these bats non-approved or just illegal?

This should be a no-brainer, but I can see a coach making the same argument.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.