Thread: for Derock
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

And...

Derock,

I won't criticize you anymore, but thought that I would offer a few thoughts.

You need to know the rules (which is really ongoing study and review of game situations for most of us) AND use common sense AND be teachable/open to learning. It's kind of a three legged stool which needs all three of these to be sturdy. YOU CAN'T JUST ARBITRARILY CHOOSE ONE AND EXPECT TO BE A SOLID OFFICIAL. It's the balance of all three that make good officials GOOD. I've been on the field with 30 year officials that admit to learning every game! I respect them!

Derock, I think you're just having a little fun with us. OK, but if you are an official, please pay some attention to what's said. All these guys can't be wrong! And most of us have a passion for officiating and are really frustrated if you're out there doing half of what you suggest.

Sure, we all have our styles and are at different levels of learning our craft. But, the fundamentals of Rule Knowledge, Common Sense, and Knowing That We All Have More to Learn is, I believe the basis for becoming and remaining a professional. And if you are as you represent yourself to be, I bet anyone on this board would offer to work with you to become a better official. Heck, maybe we can start a new 12 Step program for needy officials.

p.s. derock, at least let us know what state you're in and maybe the association you belong to. I also would like to know who has tournaments this time of year. Otherwise we'll know that you're just a fraud yanking on our chain!