Thread: TX TASO news
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbock View Post
The UIL asst director spoke at one of our most recent "TASO" meetings in Houston. After a lot of time talking about what little changes would be in effect, everyone within my circle agreed that this was probably in the best interest of the high school softball umpire and that very little change would actually take place.

Those who seemed to be the most against what was going on were the ones with strong TASO affiliations or just resistant to change - period.

Ho-hum, a diddly dum.

The strength of the high school softball program is as strong as the local chapter. And, the Houston chapter is second to none. If anyone thinks that Arkansas has a better anything than the state of Texas, they need to keep the garage door open next time they paint the car.

Of course he would say that. That is what they want you to believe. Remember the promises Hitler made to Germany in the 30's. However, tell me, why is UIL already wanting all organizations in the state of Texas who aren't registered with ArbtierSports.com to register with them now, and for all who are to either re-register as a UIL affiliate, or to share the account info with UIL so that they can incorporate it into their databases? (This memo was sent out to assignors about a month ago.) Sounds like the fox is already wanting in the henhouse to me.

I was in a meeting in October with Tony T., and we could never get a straight answer to any question. He kept spinning the line you talk about, that there will be very little change...blah blah blah.....and when I posed the simple question, "then why change now?" he never did answer me. Instead, he launched into a diatribe about his credentials. We all came away from the meeting convinced, largely on his words, that nothing good can come of this.

However, when the same group met with Mike M. of TASO, all of our answers were answered very directly and succintly, even though much of what he had to say was not what anyone was wanting to hear.

If nothing is going to change, then, like Mike said, "why change?" You know that things are going to change, most notably insurance (I have a comparison form if you are interested), and in all likelihood pay and method of post season assigning. The UIL exists for its member schools. That means it exists for its member AD's. When push comes to shove on officials' pay and benefits, who do you really think they will side with?

I have no vested interest in TASO(in fact, I have had my share of gripes with them), and I usually think change is a good thing. (Heck, I don't even keep my facial hair the same way for much more than a month at a time.) So, the only reason I am so adamant in this, is because with the information I have received from both sides of the fences, and my own diligent research, I feel that this is a bad change no matter how you slice it.

It is somewhat akin to William B Travis asking Santa Anna to guard the fort for him while he took a cigarette break.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.