View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Talladega Nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree. But, I do think they mean "A1 has lost player control and may regain player control and dribble again"
Admittedly, I haven't convinced myself of what the Fed expects of us here, but I do know how I am going to call it. Although I'm not going to say how just yet, but I would like to add thought for more disagreement.

This dialogue from Talladega Nights comes to mind

Ricky Bobby: "I said with all due respect"
Dennit: "That doesn't mean you get to say anything you want"
Ricky Bobby: "Sure as heck does, it's in the Geneva Convention, look it up"

I don't think throwing the ball against your own backboard allows a player to break any of the other rules. In my mind it would be just like throwing the ball into the air and it doesn't touch anything. If the ball didn't touch or wasn't touched by another player, we wouldn't allow a second dribble.

These thoughts are as if the throw was not a try. If your feet moved in excess of the limits, it would be travel. If you had already ended your dribble, threw the ball against your own backboard then dribbled again, it would be an illegal dribble. If you were being defended and had not used your dribble, threw the ball over the defenders head against your own backboard, ran around the player and caught the ball, it would be a travel (illegal dribble last year).

Any way, you get the point. I can't wrap my head around why throwing the ball against your own backboard doesn't stand alone as just that, throwing the ball against your own backboard. For some reason, we have stretched it out there to mean we can break other rules once we have recovered it. maybe it's in the Geneva Convention. I'll look it up.

Last edited by Scratch85; Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 05:12pm.