View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
The main issue as I see it with this age breakdown is that the JV programs will be playing on the same fields as the Varsity, and many JV players are playing 14U ball. The grounds crew are not going to be troubled to move the pitching plate 3' between the JV and Varsity double-headers (or between their separate practices on the same day), so 90%+ of JV will be at 43' this spring, and back at 40' come the summer.
Jeffer, if your schools are using NFHS rules, then this won't be an issue at all. For NFHS, the rule merely moves the pitching distance back to 43 feet. Period. That is for anybody and everybody.

Now, for those few states and/or districts that are still using ASA rules, that will be up to them to work out how they want to administer the rule. They may want to ignore the pitching distance change altogether, though I don't feel that would be the best move. They may want to schedule double header JV games one day, and double header Varsity games another. They may want to have the grounds crew, coaches, or players, simply move the pitching plate the required three feet. It wouldn't take but a couple of minutes between games.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.