View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

My daughter is a senior co-captain of her varsity team. I really dislike going to the game because one of three things (or all three) seems to always happen.

1) Controversial call. Every head in the stands turns around and stares at me. What? I didn't make that call! Turn around.

2) Someone sitting near me makes some dumbass comment such as yelling for three seconds and the ball is still in the backcourt or yells for "over the Back." And I have to fight the urge to defend the referees.

Last Saturday, had a game at a wealthy suburban High School where all the home team players drove themselves to school in their own beamers. (BMW's for you guys from Michigan. ) game is flucuating between 9-13 points most of the way (home team winning). Then my daughter's team puts a nice little run together to close it to 3 with about 3:00 left in the game. Visiting girl drives to the lane and as she goes past the off-guard the defender reaches across and tries to steal and knocks the girl clearly off her stride. No-Brainer. TWEEET! Foul. 1+1. Home team Dad in the stands yells "call it both ways". I look up at the scoreboard. Team Fouls are 8 to 8. A team mate of my daughter's Dad asked me sarcastically loud enough for this guy to hear, "Do you guys try to balance the calls?" I turned around and in a really authoritative voice so the nimrod behind us could hear. "Don't you know what we do in the locker room pregame? We decide which team we are going to favor for the night."

3) Get pissed off when I see referees giving sub-standard effort. Or they don't know the rules. I never question calls, as I understand their angle may show something different than what I see from the stands. BUt I really get hacked off when I see a referee who doesn't care. It offends me personally as I think it reflects poorly on us all.

So, other than watching JuJuBee play, its a very frustrating experience most of the time.