Thread: TX TASO news
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
If you are really curious, Mike, I can message you or email you all the details. It is a lot more that just a pissing match for power though. After several decades, the UIL wants to usurp TASO, and manage all officials in Texas. This would allow them to become a power player in NFHS, as well as allow them to keep officials' pay, which is already low in this state, even lower. The UIL's vested interest are the member schools and their AD's, whereas TASO is an organization of sports officials working for sports officials, and trying to get them the best insurance, pay, and benefits allowable.
I don't know, sounds like a pissing match to me?

Scott, not really interested in details, that pretty much gives me the picture. Of course, unless there is a signed contract in place, TASO really cannot do much to prevent UIL from controlling the officials of their game.

And TASO can simply prioritize sports outside of the UIL's purview. You will then see the development of another organization and they will work under the hand of the UIL. Unfortunately, members of some organizations do not understand their purpose and, like independent contractor they are, will go for the work today without thinking about tomorrow.