View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Becuause of the oversight of not reporting the 5th foul on the player, wouldn't it be considered an administrative technical against that team's scorebook?

Being that I've had training for both scorebook & scoreboard/timer, I've learned from doing the number of games I've done to be in constant communication between the books & the scoreboard to make sure the books match the board.

My reasoning for stating that the people need to be trained better is that I've seen too many instances happen where the person doing the scorebook is not reporting the game properly, compared to the scoreboard, & vice versa.
There is no provision in any of the codes (NFHS, NCAA, NBA) to give a technical foul because the table did not inform the officials of a player's fifth foul.

And you're absolutely correct that in a perfect world, table crew would be trained and competent, but we have to do with what we can as officials, especially at the sub-varsity level. And as Nevadaref pointed out, even at the highest levels, where people are paid to do this, mistakes happen.