View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Normally when the second free throw shot is made, the players just play on and the clock starts. Sometimes, when there is a sub waiting for the shooter, we whistle to allow the sub.

Tonight the varsity coach of one team would send in a sub at every second free throw at their basket. Afterward, during the post game I asked about that. One of the other officials has more experience with this coach. He said that he does that to keep the fast break from happening.

Rita
Wow! A coach who knows and uses the rules to his advantage, much like the one somebody mentioned who did this to setup his press. Sounds like a smart guy to me.

I teach high school and obviously never call my school's games. However, before the season starts I always offer a rules clinic/Q&A session with the school teams. This year I asked the coach if he had any questions on the rules (he's a first-year coach). He said no, that he hadn't even seen a rules book. I was stunned. So I asked one of our former assistants (who started officiating this year, BTW) and he said in his 13 year coaching career the coaching staff was never given a rule book by any school he worked at. I guess that explains a lot if it's a common practice.