View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
The first question is a bit more iffy and definately judgemental. Per the rulebook and all the cases, the defender is allowed to move into the path of the dribbler - time and distance are not factors, and the defender is allowed to "regain guarding position at the last moment [before contact]" (10.6.1A).
Once they defensive player gains a legal guarding position,all they then have to do is get in front of the offensive player-no other restrictions.If the contact is then on the torso of the defender,AND the defender is NOT moving towards the offensive player when the contact occurs,the foul is on the offensive player.If the contact is outside the torso,or the defender is moving towards the offensive player when the contact occurs,then the foul is on the defender.

That's how I try to call it.
I guess the point of the debate is, what is "moving toward" vs. moving into the path of. He says that by moving sideways, you are moving toward the offensive player, and even if you manage to get in front of him, it is a foul on the defense. I guess this is what I need a clearer statement on. If the offensive player changes direction, and after establishing a legal guarding position, if the defensive player moves directly sideways, and manages to get enough in the path of the offensive player (0,1,or 2 feet on the ground at the time) that there is torso-torso contact, it is a player control foul. Yes or no? (my understanding is, by the rules, it is, even though most refs seem to shy away from this)