View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:30am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The varsity season just got into full swing this week. My partner T'd a coach in a girls game on Tuesday for screaming across the court (After he had warned her once) because she thought her girls were getting fouled when they were really just getting their shots blocked. When he went to administer the FTs, I was talking to her and when I explained that there wasn't contact and they were clean blocks, she said that it doesn't matter if there was contact because "She tomahawked her on that shot".
How would you feel, if your partner came over during this conversation and said, "What is this conversation about? I gave her the T and can explain anything immediately following."

These situations irritate me to no end. Quick story. I gave a coach a T several seasons ago and he was yelling across the court to find out what he did. Since he actions were still unacceptable, I just ignored him. My partner comes trotting over to me and says something along the lines of the coach wanted to know what he did. I told him I would tell the coach once I'm in front of him during the natural flow of the game. In the locker room, my partner told me that I HAVE to tell the coach what he did. I forget all the details of our conversation, but we did not see eye to eye on this issue.

I have also had pregames with D1 officials who mention this. Basically, it looks like you are consoling a coach who's actions just warranted a T from your partner. Some will disagree, but what can be gained from explaining what your partner called. When this happens and I have to go table side, I will be more on the court and the coach will be looking at my backside. If the coach continues with the behavior that earned him the T in the first place another one will follow.