Thread: that coach!
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I would submit to you, dacollegegirl, that you may consider "punishing" your child with something other than sports.
To take away a child's experiences that he/she gains by participating in sports...not to mention the physical benefits he/she gains, is not doing anybody any good.
If you have to take away a "privledge"...why not let it be his/her T.V. time, or Video time, or phone time (older kids), or Movie time, or a host of others.
Keep them in sports!
RecRef stated that to subject a kid to 6 or 8 hours of practice a week is "ludicrous". That may be a bit much...but how many hours a week do you think these kids spend in front of the boob tube?
And ScottParks...WOW!...am I ever glad I wasn't your kid!
"No A...No Play"? That's putting a bit too much pressure on the kid, isn't it? Are you performing at the "A" level at your job? Or better yet, are you performing at the "A" level of your officiating career? (better than 90% of the other officials in your association)
Those are great goals...but to punish one because he/she cannot attain those lofty heights seems somewhat overbearing...IMO.

Dude