View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
This is not a USC for having players outside the box. This is clearly a 3-7-6 situation.

"ART. 6 . . . During a down, a replaced player or substitute who enters the field, but does not participate, constitutes illegal substitution."

Let's use #50 here. He entered the field after the snap, realized he shouldn't be there, and left without participating. I think that's 3-7-6 to a T.
Do you think #50 entered the field with the intent to substitute? Or Celebrate? That's the question. If he went onto the field to replace a player, then yes, invoke 3.7.6. BUT, if he was on the field for no other reason than to celebrate what he thought was a game-ending play, then you have to invoke 9.8.1 -
"ART. 1 . . . No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to: i. Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player."

In my opinion, neither #50 or any other B player went onto the field to take the place of a player who was already in the game, therefore, the only explanation is that they were nonplayers who were on the field and not substitutes or replaced players.