View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
I remember my very first year officiating, I had several rec games one day, doing them by myself, girls youth, IIRC.

Anyway, girls game, and I don't even remember why, but some parent/coach got mad about some call or another. I ended up Ting up a coach, and while I was reporting the T, a parent who was leaning against the wall next to the bench said something to me as I walked by.

I couldn't really hear him, and he wasn't yelling or anything, so I turned and said "Excuse me?"

He stepped forward, and said in a quiet tone, "I said you were a ****ing *******."

At this point I notice that he is

A) Rather smelly,
B) Dressed like a bum, and
C) Carrying a rather large knife in a sheath at his belt.

Yes, I know, I am clueless to not notice any of this before I spoke to him - but honestly, I was not even aware anyone was all that upset. The coach I just T'ed wasn't even particularly angry.

So I turn away, walk back to the center of the court away from him, and indicate that there is an officials time out. I then tell the head coach (who I just T'ed) that the gentleman in question would be leaving the gym.

The coach has no idea what is going on, so I repeat myself. The guy in question says (loudly now) "I am not leaving - you cannot make me leave!". I say something like "We are not going to continue until he is gone".

The coach tells him to leave, and he does - as he goes he says "I will be waiting for you!", which I ignore.

I finish the game and the next one, put on my jacket and leave. He is sitting outside the door, but either ignored me or did not recognize me.

Looking back on it, I made a variety of mistakes.

1) I should never have responded to whatever it was he muttered at me to begin with. What good ever comes from talking to parents/fans????
2) I should not have thrown him out - I should have gotten whoever was in charge to deal with throwing them out.
3) In retrospect, why didn't I call the cops before I left? It was probably pretty stupid to just walk out of the gym like that after he said he was going to wait for me.

Live and learn though. Nothing ever came of it, fortunately.

So what's the game fee in Afghanistan?