View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Wink Humor

I continue to find it very humorous when hearing someone explain what has been called an intentional foul and then question "Is that the correct call?"

The person asking the question generally explains the foul as being committed to stop the clock and usually there was no attempt to make a play at the ball....

Well, let's look at the official definition.

NFHS Rule 4-19 Foul
ART. 3... An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position [like a foul or grab from behind as the offense is about to freely score], contact away from the ball or when not playing the ball. It may or may not be premeditated and is not based on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.

Sounds to me like the official made a very obvious call and correctly made the call as an intentional foul. Looks pretty cut and dried from this end.

"I just was trying to stop the clock!" "Yes, I understand. INTENTIONAL."